Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On Kindness

A dear friend of mine said something today that hurt my heart. She said, “Heidi, it’s incredible. We’re here at a school that wears the label of Christian, yet I’ve met some of the meanest people I’ve ever known here.”

It hurt my heart. Hurt it because I wonder how many times I may have said something over the past few months that was less than gracious to someone. I wonder how many times I could have given encouragement, but didn't for one reason or another. I wonder if people walk away from me feeling as valued and precious as they truly are in the sight of God. It doesn’t take much to be kind. It really doesn’t, but I wonder if I make even the smallest amount of effort that is required.

I’m challenged today to re-examine my thoughts and actions, and inspired to strive for the example of Mother Teresa as she said, “Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.”

“Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.” --Ephesians 4:32

1 comment:

  1. The story of the man in that youth group Dr. Brown spoke of today in chapel made me realize this same trend from my life. This guy spoken of found the most loving people at the bar that he got drunk at.

    Although I don't have a fan club at a bar like this man evidently did, I found that some of the most loving people I knew were hell bound middle aged men on their second or third marriage. The love I received from my paintball team puts my former church and youth group to shame. How can people claim to love God and miss the commandment to love others?

    With an up and coming RA position, I get to set the tone for an entire unit. I can only hope to display a fraction of what God has shown us. I hope for the sake of my guys that my failure isn't too noticeable...

    ReplyDelete